Cabinet isn't in the Search List
This article describes how to enable search for a cabinet. This only applies to FileCenter Professional using the dtSearch engine (not Windows Search).
Before you can search your cabinets, they have to be indexed. FileCenter will take care of the indexing automatically; you just have to enable it.
To enable indexing, just follow these steps:
- Go to FileCenter's Settings
- Select the dtSearch Indexing option on the left
- Make sure that Enable Auto Indexer is checked
- The indexer needs to run periodically to keep your indexes up to date. Set a schedule for when you want the indexer to run.
- In the list of cabinets, put a check mark next to each cabinet that you want to make searchable
- Click OK
The indexer will run at the next scheduled time and build an index for your cabinets. If you want to begin searching immediately, you'll need to start the indexer now. Follow the directions in the next section.
NOTE: If your cabinets have a lot of files, it could take awhile to build the initial indexes. You may want to let the indexer run for the first time during the night or when you'll be away from your computer for awhile.
Start the Indexer Manually
You can run the indexer any time you want. For example, you may want to start searching a new cabinet immediately. Follow these steps to run the indexer:
- Click the Cabinets button
- Select the Indexing tab
- Select each cabinet you want to index
- Click Start Indexer
The indexer will begin working. Ideally, you should leave the computer alone until indexing finishes.
A better solution starts right here.
Fill out the form and get on the path to better file organization in 2 minutes.