Some Naming Options are Missing
When you scan or save a new document, not all of your naming options show up in the list.
The missing naming options use fields that are invalid in the current context.
For example, the Date Created field pulls the date/time from an existing file's "Date Created" timestamp in Windows, so it's only valid for existing files. If you try to scan a new document, you won't see any naming option that uses the Date Created field. Why? Because when you scan, no file exists yet.
FileCenter will always filter out any naming option that uses an irrelevant field. Here are some fields that have limited relevance:
- The Barcode field is only valid when you scan or run OCR
- The OCR Text field is only valid when you scan or run OCR
- The Original Name field is only valid when renaming a file or running OCR on an existing file
- The Date Created field is only valid when renaming a file or running OCR on an existing file
- The Date Modified field is only valid when renaming a file or running OCR on an existing file
- The Folder and Parent fields are only valid if the indicated level number actually exists
One common mistake is using Date Created to get the current date (thinking it's going to give you the day that the new file is being created). Instead, you should use the Date Today field.
Generally speaking, since nothing's broken, you simply need to be aware of the limitations some fields have.
A better solution starts right here.
Fill out the form and get on the path to better file organization in 2 minutes.